Sunday, May 10, 2009

Can I back on the eligible blood donation list after a false positive test for Hepatitis C?

A year ago, I donated blood and it came back positive for Hepatitis C. Since then I have had 2 separate test for Hepatitis C, (1 month after the false positive, and 1 year after the false positive), and both came up negative. I don't even show up as ever having antibodies for Hepatitis C, so my doctor told me the results show that I have never had Hepatitis C. Is it possible to ever get back on whatever list they use so I am eligible to donate blood again, or am I banned forever.

Can I back on the eligible blood donation list after a false positive test for Hepatitis C?
I sell my plasma and i'm pretty sure it's the same list, she told me that if I had a false positive I would not be able to donate blood or plasma ever again. once on it your on it forever from the way it sounds.
Reply:If you took a test a year later from when you got your first positive and it came back negative, then you should be eligible to donate blood again. Its possible, but rare that the test came up with a false positive. The only thing that may be required for you to get back on the list is to have the first test that came up positive and the test you took a year later that came up negative; providing these documents will prove that you are clean and you should have no problem getting back on the list. Good luck to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment