Sunday, May 10, 2009

I need to test the perfomance of a c program on different processors, ex. cycles to execute on mobile pentium?

I have written c program and need to be able to test the performance on various processors, from early pentiums to the latest and greatest. I was hoping to find perhaps freeware or if need be software that I must buy that would allow conversions or the ability to emulate and profile different processors. I am using a Pentium IV and have the cycles and ticks required. I would like to know how it will run on more battery efficient processors, particularly mobile devices. As a bonus it would be great to determine watts used. I have searched Intel and other sites and have not come up with any emulators or any direct conversions. I assume it is because different processors take a different number of cycles to perform different instructions. Any ideas would be helpful.

I need to test the perfomance of a c program on different processors, ex. cycles to execute on mobile pentium?
You are asking a very difficult question. Another factor that may change the answers is the compiler. For C on Windows, the Intel compiler may give you much different results than the Microsoft.





Intel has a tool called VTune which may point you in the right direction, though. If you hold everything else constant (e.g., OS and compiler), it might give you a good idea about what you can and can't measure.


No comments:

Post a Comment