Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Negative Pregnancy Test After D&C?

I recently miscarried (my baby was 6 weeks and 6 days) and had a D%26amp;C on November 27. Although it's only been a little over a week since my surgery, I feel like the healing process has been going well! I lightly spotted for 6 days and had no problems with cramping or pain. I even started working out at the gym again! I just took a First Response pregnancy test, just for kicks (I am NOT testing for another pregnancy), and it was clearly negative. I've read that some women will still get positive pregnancy test results for up to six weeks after a D%26amp;C. Does anyone know if this means that my hormones are getting close to being back to normal?

Negative Pregnancy Test After D%26amp;C?
If you had a negative pregnancy test then your hormones have decreased. However, the only way to know if it's completely over are when your HCG levels go down to certain levels. Your doctor should allow you the opportunity to do a serial quant to ensure that there is no tissue left over and that you're not at risk for infection. That simply means that they test your blood level of HCG until it reaches non-pregnant levels to ensure your overall health and readiness to try again if you want to get pregnant. I suggest waiting until you have one normally heavy period before trying to get pregnant again so that you will be able to know the timing of when you get pregnant. My doctors got all bent out of shape because I tried after one period and they couldn't believe I got pregnant again and I was and I knew exactly when it happened but they didn't believe me until they saw everything on ultrasound! Now I'm 9 months!


No comments:

Post a Comment