Thursday, July 9, 2009

What is C-Peptide Assay test in diabetic patient? In what way, the scores of this test could be improved?

Improving on C-peptide is a hard question to answer because C-peptide is an indicator of your insulin secretion.





In Type 1 diabetes – typically the C-peptide readings are very low or undetectable. In Type 2 diabetes – the C-peptide readings are usually above average. Above average C-peptide readings cause insulin resistance.





Beta cells produce insulin and C-peptide in a 1:1 ratio. High blood sugar in the presence of C-peptide usually means a person is insulin resistant or Type 2. High blood sugar with a low or undetectable level of C-peptide means a person is insulin deficient or Type 1.





C-peptide actually causes insulin resistance by impairing the cells of the body from taking up more glucose. Physiologically this is because the blood sugar in the body is more than the body can handle. The idea is to prevent the insulin resistance from occurring in the first place. This can be done by increasing energy demands of the body though exercise or eating less refined and processed carbohydrates - resulting in less insulin secretion and less C-peptide.





Type 1 is a horse of a different color and I’d be happy to trumpet the needs for C-peptide in people with Type 1 diabetes. The way to improve on the C-peptide test is to keep the C-peptide level not too high and not too low.





Best answer or not, I’d love to get feedback from all perspectives. I’m always open to discussions on http://www.TuDiabetes.com. Please join me on the fastest growing community online for people touched by diabetes.





Allison Love Beatty - Founder of "Allies Voice"


Making the World Safer for People with Diabetes


http://www.AlliesVoice.com

What is C-Peptide Assay test in diabetic patient? In what way, the scores of this test could be improved?
Heyteach's answer is a good one. I would just like to clarify that type 2 diabetes causes, while complicated, are more diet related than simply being obese. I wasn't obese, and neither were many of the other type 2's that I know. We ALL, however, were eating the typical American diet of refined carbs and animal fats. Since I've abandoned the typical western diet and subscribed to a more natural diet of mainly raw vegetables, whole grains, and fruits (yes, fruits), my weight is down, my blood sugar is down, I feel great, and energy has improved.





Recently, I discovered that one Dr. Joel Fuhrman has confirmed what I've always suspected. Diet plays a crucial role in many diseases including type 2 diabetes. He is able to "reverse" the effects of diabetes in all of his type 2 patients. My experience supports this. Read more:


http://www.drfuhrman.com/disease/default...





Please don't select a best answer just yet. I've emailed a contact who is one of the best authorities on C-Peptide that I know. She should be answering this question tonight.
Reply:My understanding of the C-Peptide Assay test is that is useful in distinguishing between Type I and Type II diabetes. Type I diabetes is an autoimmune disorder. The body destroys its beta cells in the pancreas, which means insulin production eventually stops.





Type II diabetes is not autoimmune and is associated with things such as being obese.





Because external insulin doesn't have C-Peptide, this would help to indicate if a person is Type I or II diabetic.





Given that we don't fully understand what causes diabetes and that Type I (which the test is really about) is an autoimmune disease that we don't seem to know how to stop, I can't think of a way you could improve the numbers.





More info here:


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabetes_me...

bouquet

No comments:

Post a Comment