Thursday, July 9, 2009

I need know how to test an A/C outside fan its a 220v 3 wire (brown, black, and purple) GE brand fan.?

I have a ohms meter not sure how to use correctly. I have it off the unit how can I test safely without use high voltage?

I need know how to test an A/C outside fan its a 220v 3 wire (brown, black, and purple) GE brand fan.?
this is not easy to do for the layman. the best way to test it is to connect it to a power source and see if it works correctly. I doubt if you would correctly test it with a meter because you don't have the knowledge needed. you could read up on motors and give it a shot tho.
Reply:An 'ohms meter' as you call it is useless to you if you do not know what the resistance value is for that particular motor. This can be obtained by either contacting the manufacturer of the motor or having an exact duplicate motor you can compare it to.


If the motor is burnt out you may or may not get a reliable result due to a possible shorting down to earth....look it is not really feasible for an untrained person to come to an accurate conclusion.


I would recommend you find an experienced technician and leverage their technical ability, you will probably save money in the long run.


No comments:

Post a Comment